How qualification works
- A total of 40 climbers (20 male, 20 female) will qualify for the Olympics.
- For each gender 1 spot is reserved for the host nation, leaving 19 spots.
- 1 spot is reserved for the Tripartite Commission, leaving 18 spots per gender.
- Each nation can only send a maximum of 2 male and 2 female climbers.
- There will be 7 competitions around the world to decide how the 18 spots will be filled.
- The first of these is the World Championship, where the top 7 climbers in each gender will qualify, leaving 11 spots.
- The second is the Olympic Qualifying Event, where the top 6 climbers in each gender will qualify, leaving 5 spots per gender remaining.
- Following that are 5 continental championship events where only climbers from that continent can enter. The top male and female from each event will qualify.
|Category||Male Places||Female Places|
|Olympic Qualifying Event||6||6|
Olympic qualification events calender
|13 - 21 Aug 2019||2019 IFSC Combined World Championships||Tokyo, Japan|
|28 Nov - 1 Dec 2019||Olympic Qualifying Event||Toulouse, France|
|27 Feb – 1 Mar 2020||Americas Championship||Los Angeles, USA|
|16 - 18 April 2020||Europe Championship||Moscow, Russia|
|18 - 19 April 2020||Oceania Championship||Sydney, Australia|
|1 - 3 May 2020||Africa Championship||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|18 - 24 May 2020||Asia Championship||Morioka, Japan|
Olympics event details
|Fri 24 Jul 2020||Opening ceremony|
|Tue 4 Aug 2020||Qualifiers|
|Wed 5 Aug 2020||Qualifiers|
|Thu 6 Aug 2020||Finals|
|Fri 7 Aug 2020||Finals|
|Sun 9 Aug 2020||Closing ceremony|
Venue: Aomi Urban Sports Venue
Time zone: Japan is UTC+9